Thursday, March 10, 2011

What does a Mini mean? And does it matter?


I really like this article that appeared in the Wall Street Journal on Saturday. It's well written. It allows interesting, intelligent debate on both sides. It touches on many core marketing issues: branding, brand extensions, differentiation, competitive actions, and most importantly - it looks at a lot of these from both a manager's perspective and a consumer perspective. And the comments speak to some good issues as well: When should you listen to your consumer (see Robert Carilli's comment)?   How do you address gaps/voids the product space (a great positioning point brought up by Blake White)?

Maybe we'll have some comments about this over spring break?

2 comments:

  1. While I understand the "It's simply not a Mini" argument, I don't necessarily think the design change is a bad idea. I don't personally own a Mini, but I know a few people that do. And they are all obsessed with their cars. As long as they can keep the spunk and attitude associated with the Mini, they can build on their already massive loyal following. While it is true that some of the car's personality probably got lost in translation, I anticipate many people still being happy with the new offering. Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Sarah. Before I actually read the article I thought the car looked awesome. Side Note: the customizable belt that runs through the middle of the car is one of the coolest things ever. I guess for people like me who like cupholders and iphone holders more than the engine, the new mini could do quite well!

    ReplyDelete